History of the Name Pointe Aux Barques
Pointe Aux Barques – Point of Boats
The area was named Pointe Aux Barques by the French because a certain rock formation looked like the prow of a ship. It was also known as a hideout for sailors in the caves of the area.
The modern history of Pointe Aux Barques begins in 1896. Stanford Crapo, an official of the Pere Marquette Railroad, saw the possibilities of the area as a resort for Detroit socialites. Gradually cottages were built and the railroad ran club cars twice daily during the summer, bringing tourists to the Pointe and in 1912 rates were set at Board and room in a hotel, $14 per week; Daily rates, S3 to $5. But just before the hotel was to open, it was completely destroyed by fire.
At the turn of the century, Harvey Firestone owned two cottages, and for many years Michigan poet, Edgar A. Guest, spent summers at his cottage at Pointe Aux Barques.
Related Stories and Sites