Michigan Wind Farms 2018
Last updated February 4, 2018
Michigan’s Upper Thumb Leads in Renewable Energy
- Michigan’s Upper Thumb currently has 472 operating turbines or 43% of total operating in the state.
- Huron County has the largest installed wind energy base in the Great Lakes region.
- The Upper Thumb region also hosts a high-capacity, 140-mile electric transmission line called the Thumb Loop, capable of carrying electricity or up to 2,800 wind turbines. 1
Michigan Wind Energy Operational Stats
- As of February 2018, Michigan has a total of 1,032 operational turbines producing 1,881 MW. Plans underway show 1,084 turbines with 2,161 MW operational in 2018.
- The Michigan Public Services Commission is currently tracking progress on 30 wind farm projects.
- Michigan produced 4.6% of its electricity needs from industrial wind operations in 2016.
- In 2015 all of Michigan’s electric providers met – or exceeded – the 10 percent renewable energy standard set by the Michigan legislature.
- Michigan’s new renewable standard will increase to 12.5 percent in 2019 and 2020 and 15 percent in 2021, as required by Public Act 342.
Tour a Michigan Wind Farm
Detailed Michigan Wind Farm Pages
- Michigan Wind 1
- Thumb Wind Park Sigel
- Tuscola Bay Wind I
- Deerfield Wind Farm
Comment’s about this page can be made on ThumbWind’s About Us
1 – http://archive.freep.com/article/20131020/FEATURES/310200073/Michigan-s-new-tourist-attraction-Like-them-not-wind-turbines