The Michigan Wind Farm Map offers current, proposed and deferred or canceled projects in the state of Michigan. This site is update as information becomes available.
Map of wind turbines in Michigan last updated April 19, 2019
Michigan’s Upper Thumb Leads in Renewable Energy
- The first wind turbine installed in the Upper Thumb was at Laker Elementary School near Pigeon in 2005. 1
- The first industrial wind farms were Harvest Wind near Elkton and Michigan Wind 1 near Ubly. Both came online in 2008.1
- Michigan’s Upper Thumb currently has 472 operating turbines or 44% of total operating in the state.
- Huron County has the largest installed wind energy base in the Great Lakes region.
- The Upper Thumb region hosts a high-capacity, 140-mile electric transmission line. This project is called the Thumb Loop, capable of carrying electricity or up to 2,800 wind turbines. 2
Michigan Wind Energy Operational Stats
- As of June, Michigan has a total of 1,051 operational turbines producing 1,904 MW. Plans underway show a total 1,084 turbines with 2,161 MW operational in 2018.
- The Michigan Public Services Commission is currently tracking progress on 30 wind farm projects. Michigan produced 4.5% of its electricity needs from industrial wind operations in 2018.
- In 2015 all of Michigan’s electric providers met – or exceeded – the 10 percent renewable energy standard set by the Michigan legislature.
- Michigan’s new renewable standard will increase to 12.5 percent in 2019 and 2020 and 15 percent in 2021, as required by Public Act 342.
- Michigan ranks 14th in the nation for installed wind turbines.
- There are at least 26 manufacturing facilities in Michigan producing components for the wind industry.
- Michigan’s Thumb highest wind speeds occur from September thru April averaging 12.4 miles per hour. The summer months from April thru September are calmer with an average hourly wind speed of 9.1 miles per hour.
Tour a Michigan Wind Farm
If you have a family, a workgroup or a bunch of friends that would like to explore and tour a wind farm, tours can be scheduled by calling the DTE Discovery Center in Bad Axe.
Detailed Michigan Wind Farm Page
- Apple Blossom Wind Farm
- Beebe Community Wind Farm
- Michigan Wind 1
- Michigan Wind 2
- Thumb Wind Park Sigel
- Tuscola Bay Wind I
- Deerfield Wind Farm
- Huron Continues to Lead in Wind Incidents in 2017
- Michigan Competitive in Wind Production, But Future Limited
- Michigan Wind Farm Accidents
- AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Online Wind Projects and Manufacturing Facilities