The Little Four Corner Town
Walter Hume, “the Daniel Boone of Hume Township,” became the first settler in the area in 1844. This little four corner settlement was first called Pinnepog, (Chippewa for partridge drum). However, there was another Pinnepog five miles north on Saginaw Bay, so this one changed to Pinnebog (“a high sounding and dignified way of saying pine bog”).
The lumber town on the Bay changed its name to Port Crescent. Arthur Heminger became the first postmaster of Pinnebog on April 15, 1863. The Post Office was closed on Jan. 2, 1872, but was restored on Dec. 19, 1879. It was named from its location near the Pinnebog River. Historical accounts of the first white farmers in the area noted that Pinnebog was the surveyed starting point for many of the original farms and the area grew around it.
Pinnebog General Store
Shots from the when Pinnebog was one of the interior four corner villages in Huron County. The ruins of Champagne’s Pinnebog general store can still be seen across from Heck’s Bar. Pinnebog has just about faded away.
The store was once part of the famous ghost town of Port Crescent and was moved into the village in the 1880s. It was known as the Powers General Store until it closed in 1988 after over a century of operation.
Local lore tells us that Walsh meats got it to start in the general store. Founder Ed Walsh was a butcher in the 1930s. Today Walsh Meats is known for its fresh meats and breakfast sausage.
The general store was torn don in 2014. It was the last of the original buildings from the 1800s..
Pinnebog Remains a Destination
The original platted town is gone. However, the tiny town is the northern boundary to several of the largest wind farms in the area. It sits on a strategic spot. It’s at the end of the North-south Pinnebog road, and in between Caseville and Kinde. It’s known as an ideal stop for bikers touring the back roads of Huron County.
Hecks Bar – The Center of the Universe
The tiny village is home to the famous Heck’s Bar. Known for its cool T-Shirt design denoting Pinnebog as the center of the universe. The town also hosts a homecoming every couple of years as a way to gather former residents who grew up in the area.
Heck’s is the sole survivor of Pinnebog. They offer one of the largest selections of craft beers in the area. The Friday perch fish fry and the famous double Heckle burger are Heck’s specialties. The décor is a bit dated which gives the iconic local bar its charm. The service is fast and conversation is pleasant as it’s never overly loud. It is somewhat kid-friendly with families surrounding large tables with grandkids in tow. The owner Robert Heck sponsors many charity events that support the local community such as the annual Porcupine Bash that helps veterans in long term V.A. care. So before you leave the Upper Thumb, come to the center of the Universe at Pinnebog’s Heck’s Bar.
Related Stories like Pinnebog
- The Abandoned Farmhouses
- Where in the heck is Kilmanagh?
- Kinde Our Beantown
- The Lost Company Town of New River