The Michigan Wind Farm Map offers current, proposed and deferred or canceled projects in the state of Michigan. This site is update as information becomes available.
Map of wind turbines in Michigan last updated April 19, 2019
Michigan’s Upper Thumb Leads in Renewable Energy
- The first wind turbine installed in the Upper Thumb was at Laker Elementary School near Pigeon in 2005. 1
- The first industrial wind farms were Harvest Wind near Elkton and Michigan Wind 1 near Ubly. Both came online in 2008.1
- Michigan’s Thumb currently has 758 operating turbines producing 1368 MW of electricity. 68% of total operating in the state.
- Huron County has the largest installed wind energy base in the Great Lakes region.
- The Upper Thumb region hosts a high-capacity, 140-mile electric transmission line. This project is called the Thumb Loop, capable of carrying electricity or up to 2,800 wind turbines. 2
- Mid-Michigan south of Midland and Mount Pleasent have 254 turbines producing 506 MW.
Michigan Wind Energy Operational Stats
- As of June, Michigan has a total of 1,051 operational turbines producing 1,904 MW. Plans underway show a total 1,084 turbines with 2,161 MW operational in 2018.
- The Michigan Public Services Commission is currently tracking progress on 30 wind farm projects. Michigan produced 4.5% of its electricity needs from industrial wind operations in 2018.
- In 2015 all of Michigan’s electric providers met – or exceeded – the 10 percent renewable energy standard set by the Michigan legislature.
- Michigan’s new renewable standard will increase to 12.5 percent in 2019 and 2020 and 15 percent in 2021, as required by Public Act 342.
- Michigan ranks 14th in the nation for installed wind turbines.
- There are at least 26 manufacturing facilities in Michigan producing components for the wind industry.
- Michigan’s Thumb highest wind speeds occur from September thru April averaging 12.4 miles per hour. The summer months from April thru September are calmer with an average hourly wind speed of 9.1 miles per hour.
Tour a Michigan Wind Farm
Detailed Michigan Wind Farm Pages
Specific details for each of the wind farms in the greater Thumb and Michigan area can be found in the links below.
- Apple Blossom Wind Farm
- Beebe Community Wind Farm
- Cross Winds Energy Parks (I, II, III)
- Michigan Wind 1
- Michigan Wind 2
- Thumb Wind Park Sigel
- Tuscola Bay Wind I
- Deerfield Wind Farm
- Huron Continues to Lead in Wind Incidents in 2017
- Michigan Competitive in Wind Production, But Future Limited
- Michigan Wind Farm Accidents
- High Temps Could Mean a Power Blackout – A Checklist
- AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Online Wind Projects and Manufacturing Facilities
- “Map services and data are available from U.S. Wind Turbine Database, provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, American Wind Energy Association, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory via https://eerscmap.usgs.gov/uswtdb”.