A long trip in an uncomfortable auto is a severe test for any traveler. For those going to drive their automobile for significant distances, it is recommended to consider the best cars for traveling from different brands. We found the inside scoop on what to look for the best vehicle for road trips.
Key Points For Selecting the Best Vehicle for Road Trips
Key points to pay attention to:
- Comfort is key for the one who drives the vehicle. For cross country trips, its typical that the driver will have to drive 10-12 hours a day. Thus all the necessary compartments (glove box, shelves, etc.) should be within easy reach. The driver’s seat should be spacious and comfortable.
- Engine Size and Power – The larger your powertrain is, the more responsive and maneuverable the car. This is especially noticeable when climbing a hill, merging onto a highway or passing another vehicle
- Economy – Look for vehicles with optimum fuel consumption – from 18 to 22 miles per gallon
- Popularity – When you travel look for a popular model with an abundance of local dealerships. You don’t want to have problems finding service with qualified personnel.
- High Road Clearance – Not only will you have a commanding view of the road but its helpful for winter travel and if your plan on travelling on unimproved roads. If you are looking at going off-road be sure you rental agreement covers it.
- Safety Ratings – Look for cars and SUVs with front and passenger side air bags. ABS, traction control and collision avoidance systems.
- Luggage Room – Look for large trunks in sedans and underfloor storage in minivans and SUVs. On a long trip you tend to take a lot of things.
- Technology Nice-to-Haves – Your trip will be more enjoyable if your rental is equipped with satellite radio, adaptive cruise control, and collesion avoidance. Its a real plus if it also includes hands free phone capability, voice activated response controls and an on-board navigation system.
Selection criteria and the best car models
When choosing a vehicle for travel, you will have to consider several critical criteria. For the trip to be remembered only by positive impressions and to be successful, it is necessary to approach the choice of a vehicle responsibly. Regarding today’s preferences, rental autos are more in use when traveling long distances, especially in other countries. In Italy, people usually search for Rent SUV Milan, since it fits the conditions in this city and its outskirts.
The ideal solution for avid travelers would be a camper or RV. A motor home is equipped with beds, a kitchen, and a bathroom. This saves a lot of time, as you can avoid spending money on hotels, hostels, or motels on the road. In addition, in the camper you can cook your food, saving on restaurant bills and unhealthy fast food. But the cost of trailers can range in the high five figures. In addition, there are sometimes restrictions for entry to the center of many cities. Therefore, an ordinary vehicle is often referred to as a motor home: a sedan, crossover, minivan, or SUV.
Rental Car Luggage Capcity
Since traveling light is almost impossible, when choosing the best vehicle, you need to pay attention to the parameters of the luggage compartment. It should be roomy, especially if the whole family with children and pets goes on the road.
In terms of luggage and passenger room among dozens of vehicles for travel, from least to most luggage room.
- 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser – 16.1 to 43 ft³, 81.7 ft³ with seat area
- Land Rover Defender 110 SE – 34 ft³, 78.1 ft³ with seat area
- Cadillac Escalade – 25.5 ft³, 109.1 ft³ with seat area
- Jeep Wagoneer – 27.4 ft³, 116.7 ft³ with seat area
- Chevrolet Tahoe – 25.5 ft³, 122.9 ft³ with seat area
- Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid – 32.3 ft³, 140.5 ft³ with seat area
Rental Car Passenger Room
Another important criterion when choosing a car for road trips is a comfortable interior. The auto has to be spacious, so it is best to choose models with folding seats is best. This will allow passengers to settle down for a night’s rest comfortably. The most comfortable in this regard are full-size SUVs and minivans. If you choose among the most rented passenger vehicles, the most spacious interiors will be in models of brands:
- Toyota Corolla – 88.6 cu. ft.
- Hyundai Accent – 90.2 cu. ft.
- Hyundai Elantra – 99.4
- Jeep Compass – 100 cu. ft.
- Chevrolet Tahoe – 120.8 cu. ft.
- Honda Pilot – 151.7 cu. ft.
- Ford Explorer – 152.7 cu. ft.
- Chrysler Pacifica – 165 cu. ft
If you dream of traveling with your family in a rental vehicle, you should evaluate the economy of the automobile in advance. Fuel consumption differs depending on the type of vehicle. Rentals include minivans, SUVs, sedans, and convertibles. The by in a large most economical car on the road in terms of space and economy is a mid-sized sedan, so it is recommended to opt for it.
Pros and Cons of Various Rental Vehicle Types
When choosing a particular vehicle, it is worth remembering the nuances. Each type of auto has its pros and cons. So, sedans are mobile and maneuverable. Therefore, they are perfect for short-distance travel on a budget. But you should bear in mind that the interior of such vehicles is relatively small and may not be suitable for overnight stays. In addition, sedans do not have much luggage room.
RVs or campers are also suitable for road trips. They are attractive for their comfort and the availability of everything you need, even a shower, toilet, and kitchen. But they have a severe disadvantage – the high price.
Crossovers and SUVs are distinguished by excellent handling and good cross-country ability. Usually, they are equipped with a comfortable interior and a large luggage compartment. However, of the shortcomings of such machines, it is worth noting the severe fuel consumption.
Do you have a few – or much too many – bags? Choose a mid-size car or a full-size SUV. Looking to take in the stunning sights of Michigan’s lakeshores or the Colorado mountains? A sporty convertible is our recommendation.