The site of the mysterious fort was first built in 1686 by the French. The Americans rebuilt the fort in 1814 and it was used until 1879. The exact location of the fort is listed as “restricted” by the US National Archives.
One interesting little site, located in a county park, is the Lightship Huron. Lightships are floating lighthouses that could be anchored on the lakes where it was too deep or impossible to build a lighthouse.
Fort Gratiot light was built in April 1829. It was situated north of an older tower light that has collapsed into the St. Clair river after a violent storm. The tower was constructed of brick to the height of 65 feet. In 1862 the height was increased to 82 feet to match the focal point of a new 4th order Fresnel lens.