It is no secret that industrial wind turbines are great for producing clean energy. But before they build a wind turbine, (aka Industrial Wind Turbine or IWT, many people have many questions concerning long-term cost, the time it takes to break even, and ongoing operational costs.
The folks at MidAmerican Energy put together this terrific video that shows the entire process of how they build a wind turbine like those in the Thumb. The video is a little over five minutes and includes factoids during the whole process.
Build a Wind Turbine In Five Minutes
Thinking of Installing an IWT Yourself?
Installing an industrial-quality windmill is not something to be taken lightly. First, you must consider the amount of money it will cost you and whether or not it is worth it to you in the long run. It would help if you also thought about how much power these machines will produce and how long they will last before they need to be replaced with newer models. The final decision to build a wind turbine is up to you, so take some time and think about these factors carefully before making your choice!
Wind XI project
When completed in 2019, the $3.6 billion MidAmerican Energy Wind XI project will add up to 2,000 megawatts of capacity and produce enough wind energy to power more than 840,000 average Iowa homes. In addition, MidAmerican has built over 2,000 wind turbines.
MidAmerican Energy Company, Iowa’s largest energy company, provides electric service to 732,000 customers and natural gas service to 714,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa.
Fast Facts on Wind Energy
- As of June 2019, there are now over 57,000 wind turbines built in 41 states in the U.S.
- Wind energy provides over 20% of the electricity produced in six states.
- Over the past ten years, there has been an estimated $142 billion invested in wind energy technology
- In 2018 wind energy supported over 114,000 jobs across every state in the U.S.
Related Reading Like Build a Wind Turbine
- Michigan Wind 2
- Conflicting Tax Bills Affect Wind Projects
- Michigan’s Wind Farms
- Trump Supported the Wind Energy Production Tax Credit
- Home Wind Turbines in the Future
- 20 Things That Folks From Michigan Do, Know, or Say – Michigan Quiz