Pointe Aux Barques

Pointe Aux Barques in northern Huron County Michigan; the name, meaning point of ships, was given it by French sailors about 1760 because the ragged rock formation jutting into Lake Huron here look like boats moored along the shore. its settlement was given a post office on June 12, 1897, with George T. Miller as its first postmaster, the office operating until June 20, 1957; a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad; F. Demarest became the first township supervisor in 1903; now a resort community and location of the famous Turnip Rock a popular stop for sea kayaks.


ThumbWind-Mercantile-banner

One thought on “Pointe Aux Barques”

Comments are closed.