The highlight carnival and festival time in the Michigan Thumb kick off in 2023 at the 155th Huron Community Fair, running Sunday through Saturday, July 30 – August 5th! At the fairgrounds in Bad Axe, Michigan.
A Week of Huron Community Fair
The fair opens Sunday, July 30, with free parking. Check out the 2 p.m. grandstand event featuring Harness Racing (1 pm), and the 4-H Horse Show begins at 5 p.m. The Opening Ceremony and Flag Raising is open to all at the center of the Livestock Arena at 7:00 p.m., followed by Livestock Judging at the Dennis M Hagan Show & Sale Arena at 7:30 p.m.
Fair Monday at Bad Axe Fairgrounds
Starting Monday, July 31, at 9 am with the Goat Show at the Dennis M. Hagen Show & Sale Arena. The 4-H and FFA Building and Merchant Building will be open from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. The Horse Racing begins at 1 p.m. in the Grandstands. The Elkton Lions Bingo runs from 3 – 10 p.m. At 3 pm the Sheep Show begins. The Gate fee is $5 per person, and kids ten and under are free.
Huron Community Fair Midway Fun Tuesday Kids Day
Tuesday, August 1, offers the Swine Show, Horse Show, Dairy Show, and the judging in the 4-H Building for food, flowers, vegetables, and crops. At 11 a.m., visitors can tour the 4-H and FFA Building, the Merchant Building, and the 4-H Small Animal Building. The carnival rides and midway open at 1 pm bracelets are $15. The Elkton Lions Bingo runs from 3 – 10 p.m. Free entertainment on the midway grounds. The Miracle of Life Pavilion opens at noon. At 7 pm, the KOI drag is racing in the Grandstands for $10.
Tuesday is Kids Day, with the Midway opening at 1 p.m. with a reduced ride bracelet rate. The Gate fee is $5 per person, and kids ten and under are free.
Wednesday Midweek at the Huron Community Fair
Wednesday, August 2nd, including the 4-H and FFA Prospect Feeder Show at 9 a.m., the Horse Show, and the Poultry Show. The Midway opens at 3 p.m. The Elkton Lions Bingo runs from 3 – 10 p.m. Live entertainment on the midway features the Bird Creek Station. Watch for the chainsaw carver. It’s worth a look. Wednesday’s Grandstand event will be the Bump and Run Demolition Derby at 7 p.m. Free music at that Merchant Building starts at 7 pm, $10 for adults, and kids are $5. The Gate fee is $5 per person; kids ten and under are free.
Thursday is Extra Special at the Huron Community Fair
Thursday, August 3rd, Kicks off with the Market Beef Show, the Goat Show, and The Special Needs Kids Event starts at 10 am. Midway opens at 3 pm. The Midway opens at 3 p.m. Ride bracelets are $18.
The Elkton Lions Bingo runs from 3 – 10 p.m. 4, 6 & 8 p.m. – Free entertainment on the grounds. Grandstand Event begins at 7:30 p.m. for the Super Kicker Rodeo and Barrel Racing, $10 for adults, and kids are $5. The Gate fee is $5 per person, and kids ten and under are free.
Final Friday at the Huron Community Fair
Friday, August 3rd, the Jr. Livestock Auction Sale begins at 9 a.m. Noon – the Miricle of Life runs until 9 pm. The Midway opens at 3 p.m. with $18 ride bracelets. The Elkton Lions Bingo runs from 3 – 10 p.m. Friday’s Grandstand Event, which will be the Redneck Truck Races at 7 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults, and $5 for kids 6-11.
Saturday is the Final Day of the Huron Community Fair 2023
The final full day of the fair is Saturday, August 6th, with the Small Livestock Association Sale and 4-H Auction beginning at 9 a.m. and 11 am. The Midway opens at noon. The miracle of life from noon until 9 pm. Check out the Chainsaw carver on the midway in the afternoon. Saturday night’s Grandstand Event at 6 pm is the TTPA Tractor Pull Smoker Class. Admission is $10 for adults, kids 6-11 are $5.
Compiled from sources including the Huron Community Fair Website and Bax Axe Chamber of Commerce.
Weather in Bad Axe Mi
Related Reading for the Huron County Fair 2023
- Gibby’s Fries – A Favorite Michigan Comfort Food – Gibby’s Fries are fresh-cut homemade French fries that can only be found at carnivals, festivals, and fairs during the summer months. We dropped in on the Huron Community fair during Sunday’s setup. Gibby’s was already doing business, and the fryers were hot.
- After a Decade in Hibernation, The Winter Carnival Returns to Port Austin – Almost 50 years ago, Port Austin was the place to get a team together and play broomball at the annual winter carnival. The event was huge in the day, with parades and the Winter Carnival Queen’s crowning. Even postcards were published.
- The Largest Festival in Michigan’s Thumb – Caseville Cheeseburger Festival – Combine the atmosphere of a carnival with parades, a NOLA feeling, and the smoky haze of grilling cheeseburgers and you can get a sense of what it’s like in Caseville during its end of the summer festival.
- Port Austin Farm Market Saturday Mornings – Each Saturday morning during the summer, the Port Austin farm market offers local locally grown produce, crafts, and flea market items from all over the thumb. The weekly event is not hard to miss as it’s only a block away from the harbor.
- Top 10 Things to See and Do in Bad Axe Michigan – Bad Axe Mi is a vibrant little city in the exact middle of Huron County. Its position in the middle of Michigan’s Thumb makes it an excellent starting point for road trip adventures in the area.
- 12 Free & Family-Oriented Things To Do In Michigan’s Thumb – If you are ever at a loss for things to do in Michigan’s Upper Thumb, you found the right spot. We went looking for a dozen neat and interesting things to do and came up with this list of free things to do in Michigan’s Thumb. Check back with us from time to time as we will find more fun down the road.