Visit Michigan’s Thumb and enjoy one of the many Michigan Memorial Day events happening. Here is a list of events in the Bad Axe, Caseville, Port Austin, Port Hope, Harbor Beach, Sebewaing, Sandusky, and Bay Port areas.
Commemorate our Veterans – Memorial Day Services on May 29, 2023
Port Hope Memorial Day Events
- Memorial service: New River Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 9 a.m.
- Memorial service: Lighthouse Park, Monday, May 29, 9:30 a.m.
- Memorial service: Port Hope Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 10 a.m.
Caseville Memorial Day Event
22nd Blessing of the Fleet: Monday, May 29. The Blessing of the Fleet will be held at Caseville Municipal Harbor at 10 a.m., followed by a memorial service at Caseville Cemetery at 11 a.m. Caseville American Legion Post #543 is commemorating our veterans with a Memorial Service at Caseville Cemetery.
Port Austin Memorial Day Event
Memorial service with music from Huron Out: Monday, May 29, noon-3 p.m. The service will be held at Veterans Waterfront Park. Huron Out will provide music from noon to 3 p.m.
Harbor Beach Memorial Day Event
- Memorial service: Monday, May 29, 9 a.m. The service will be held at Rock Falls Cemetery.
- VFW Parade: Monday, May 29, 10 a.m. The parade will start at the Harbor Beach City Hall and end at the VFW Hall #9344. There will be a gathering at the VFW Hall with food and bike giveaways for kids.
Bay Port – Pigeon Memorial Day Event
Memorial service: Monday, May 29, 9:30 a.m. The service will be held at Memorial Park.
Bad Axe Memorial Weekend Event
Memorial Day Parade: Saturday, May 27, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. The parade will start at the Huron County Courthouse and end at Veterans Memorial Park.
Elkton Memorial Day Event
Memorial service: Monday, May 29, 10 a.m. The service will be held at Riverside Cemetery.
Sebewaing Memorial Day Event
Memorial service: Sebewaing Village Park, Monday, May 29, 10:30 a.m.
Ubly Memorial Day Event
Memorial Day Parade: Monday, May 29, 10 a.m. The parade will start at the Ubly Community Center and end at the park. The parade will be followed by a service in the park.
Unionville Memorial Day Event
Memorial service: Unionville Village Park, Monday, May 29, 9 a.m. The service will be held at Unionville Village Park.
Other Things to Do on Memorial Day in Huron County Michigan
Lady’s Slipper Festival – Join the Huron County Nature Center for their opening Thumb Memorial Weekend festivities. Enjoy two days of crafts, art, music, food, and wildflowers for the whole family! The center sits on 280 acres with a 1.8-mile Boardwalk March Loop trial. Hike the loop and see if you can spot the elusive flowers of the Lady Slipper and Trillium. Birders are attracted to the preserve for its Spring Warbler migration. The Huron County Nature Center is open all year round, from dawn to dusk, and admission is always free.
Renew Your Soul – Remember to put the rake down for a couple of hours and relax. Take a stroll down to the beach and enjoy the sunshine, if we are lucky, and get some sand in between your toes. Grab a blanket, climb in a hammock, and read a book by Michigan Thumb authors. These include Jackie Howard, who wrote about the murders of Sparling men in “The Thumb Pointed Fingers” and David Collins, who penned “Nightmare,” about what would happen if freshwater tolerant Bull Sharks somehow were released in Saginaw Bay.
Related Michigan Memorial Day Reading
- The Lightship Huron – At the extreme southern end of Michigan’s Thumb lays the town of Port Huron. This lakeside town has close ties to the boating and shipping industry. It’s the starting point of the famous Port Huron to Mackinac sailboat race and was the first large-scale boatyard in the Great Lakes. One interesting little site, located in a county park, is the Lightship Huron.
- Caseville’s Union Memorial Statue – Caseville’s Union Army Memorial Statue From The Civil War
- Grindstone City- White Church Gallery – We came across White Church Gallery while exploring Grindstone City’s two popular ice cream shops; the Grindstone General Store and Rybak’s Ice Cream Store. The gallery is across the street from Rybak’s. The gallery opened in July 2015 and has made its mark in the Port Austin art community.
- 12 Quirky Things to See in Michigan’s Upper Thumb – Michigan’s Upper Thumb has interesting sites and things to do beyond our great beaches and water.
- The Best of the Upper Thumb – For well over five decades, the Upper Thumb has been deemed the “Closer Up North” for Southeast Michigan and Detroit. Sandy beaches, great fishing, parks, and some of the friendliest proprietors around. Huron County is a great place to steal a weekend away from the “burbs” of Detroit without busting your wallet.