Pinnebog, Huron County
Walter Hume, “the Daniel Boone of Hume Township,” became the first settler in the area in 1844; this settlement was first called Pinnepog (Chippewa for partridge drum); but there was another Pinnepog five miles north on Saginaw Bay, so this one changed to Pinnebog (“a high sounding and dignified way of saying pine bog”), while the other one changed to Port Crescent; Arthur Heminger became the first postmaster of Pinnebog on April 15, 1863; the office was closed on Jan. 2, 1872, but was restored on Dec. 19, 1879; it was named from its location near the Pinnebog River. Today much of the original town is gone. However the tiny town is the northern boundary to several of the largest wind farms in the area. Pinnebog is home to the famous Heck’s Bar. Known for its Heckle burger and cool T Shirt design denoting Pinnebog as the center of the universe.