Caseville Harbor History Compares to Fishtown
This picture offers a bit of Caseville Harbor history. The shot looks out to Saginaw Bay from the interior harbor on the Pigeon River in 1941. The only building that remains today is the Huron Yacht Club on the left. The Bay Post Fish Company dock on the far right was torn down in 2017 to make way for updates to the Saginaw Bay Marina.
The shot has amazing similarities to the famous Fishtown in Leland County in Northwest Michigan. Caseville harbor was home to a lumber mill, salt block, an iron foundry, and several fishing companies.
Village of Caseville
The Caseville Harbor history photo was likely taken from the railroad bridge that once crossed the Pigeon River. The plat map below was from a 1935 WPA project shows the village and railroad lines leading into the area that is known today as Caseville Beach. In 1964 the Caseville Harbor break wall was built. It was made with huge boulders and rubble fill and extended 1,780 feet into Saginaw Bay. The break wall protects the harbor from the prevailing north-east wave action from Lake Huron.
- Caseville Helping Hands Thrift Store
- Koch Brothers Wind Energy Influence In Michigan
- A Harbor’s Late Season
- Port Austin’s Farm Market Mornings