1. Since 2009, travelers of all nationalities will need a passport to travel between the USA and Canada.
2. If traveling during summer, book in advance. August is high season around the Great Lakes and nearly every campground close to the lakes will be full. The same goes for hotels/hostels in Chicago, Toronto, etc. Make reservations!
3. Gas prices vary considerably by state, but gas anywhere in Canada will be more expensive than the USA.
4. Camping is extremely popular around the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, that means it is expensive as well. Even basic tent sites can run 30-40 USD a night! However, this is still the way to go if traveling on a budget–especially if you can split the cost with a friend.
5. In general, most Americans agree that driving 10mph over the speed limit or less will be slow enough to avoid a run in with…
View original post 424 more words